- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups currants or raisins (I left them out)
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, to taste (or substitute dill seed – milder or anise seed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- sparkling white sugar, for topping
1) Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line muffin tin with papers, and grease the papers.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil.
4) Quickly and gently combine the dry and wet ingredients; Take a fork or wire whisk and blend the two for 20 seconds — no more!
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full; the stiff batter will look mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
6) Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 400°F. Bake for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don’t get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 500°F.
- Blend together the dry ingredients as long and as vigorously as you want.
- Add chopped apple and walnuts and stir to coat dry mixture.
- Beat the liquid ingredients together — milk, oil or butter, and eggs, until light.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Take a fork or wire whisk and blend the two for 20 seconds — no more! It’s OK if you’ve left some lumps.
- Fill cups of a lightly greased muffin tin two-thirds to three-quarters full. Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 400°F*. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until muffins test done.
Yield: 12 muffins, 24 mini-muffins