- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan with butter and flour or line with parchment. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a small saucepan, heat butter over low heat just just until melted, but not brown. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Add the molasses and sugar to the butter and whisk until blended. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Add vanilla and whisk until mixed well.
Measure the flour, salt and spices and sift together into batter. Mix batter gently until combined and no trace of dry ingredients remains.
At this point, if desired, stir in any extras like nuts or chocolate chips or maybe cinnamon chips.
Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
Yield: 12-16 Brownies