- 3/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s special dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over low heat just just until melted, but not brown. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar to the butter and whisk until blended. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Add vanilla and whisk until mixed well.
- Measure the flour, espresso powder and salt and sift together into batter. Add flaxseed. Mix batter gently until combined and no trace of dry ingredients remains.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
Yield 16 brownies
- ultimate fudge brownies with peanut butter chips. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Mocha Almond Brownies (lattesandleggings.com)
- Guiltless Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (whattheflicka.com)