- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure Almond extract
- 1 egg, large
- 4 oz shortening
- 1/4 almonds, finely shopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin liners
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Microwave shortening in a microwave-safe bowl, for about a minute, until it’s thoroughly melted. Set it aside at room temperature to cool, but don’t let it solidify again.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then add the sugar, milk and vanilla to the eggs.
- Stir in almonds and cranberries.
- Slowly add slightly cooled, melted shortening into the egg-vanilla-milk mixture and stir it in. If the shortening it too hot it will cook the eggs.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy, and you may see pockets of dry flour.
- Gently pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake immediately.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Yield 12 muffins
- Fall Recipe: Cranberry-Pecan Muffins (kcet.org)
- Almond and Jam Tarts (lovenotesrestylestudio.com)
- Oatmeal and cranberry muffins (theback40.org)