- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups currants or raisins (I left them out)
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, to taste (or substitute dill seed – milder or anise seed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- sparkling white sugar, for topping
1) Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line muffin tin with papers, and grease the papers.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil.
4) Quickly and gently combine the dry and wet ingredients; Take a fork or wire whisk and blend the two for 20 seconds — no more!
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full; the stiff batter will look mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
6) Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 400°F. Bake for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don’t get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins