The blackberries give the pie a nice color and the pear rounds out the flavor of the the berries.
- 4 fresh pears, unpeeled
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Core and slice the pears. Mix all the filling ingredients together well. Pour into the pie shell.
Add the dry ingredients for the crumb topping to a food processor or blender, pulse to combine, then add the butter. Mix until the topping comes together into crumbs. Add to the top of the pie. Bake for 70-80 minutes and let pie cool on wire rack before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch single-crust pie.