- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or softened butter (optional)*
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 500°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Blend together the dry ingredients. Add lemon zest and juice.
- Beat the liquid ingredients together — milk, oil or butter, and eggs — until they are light.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Take a fork or wire whisk and blend for 20 seconds — no more! It’s OK if you’ve left some lumps that look as if they want more stirring; they really don’t.
- Fill cups of prepared muffin tin two-thirds to three-quarters full. Sprinkle tops with additional poppy seeds. Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 400°F*. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until muffins test done.
Yield: 12 muffins