- 7 tablespoons butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (I used a mix dark and black cocoa)
- 1 1/4 rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur (I used chocolate liqueur)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Your coating of choice (list follows)
1. Cream together butter and sugar till fluffy. Add in other ingredients until smooth.
2. Roll the mixture into small balls and dip/roll them in coating of choice.
3. Let them harden in the fridge. Chocolate balls will last at least 1-2 weeks.
- Cocoa powder
- Melted chocolate (dark, milk, white)
- Chopped nuts
- Layered chocolate
- Desiccated coconut
- Decorative icing
- Colored sugar crystals
- Glazed cherries or peel (a simple single fruit piece at the top of a truffle will appear very effective), or chopped dried fruit pieces
- Icing sugar
Moist, sweet and tart.
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut, shredded, sweetened
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 1/2 x 5 1/2-inch loaf pan or three 5 3/4 x 3 1/2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy;add oil, extract and sugar and continue beating until light.
- Mix in berries
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add to the strawberry mixture; blending just until flour is moistened. No more than 20 second; do not overmix.
- Spoon into prepared loaf pan(s) Bake 50-60 minutes for large loaf; 45-55 minutes for small loaves.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, loosen and turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Yields: 1 large or 3 small loaves.
The blackberries give the pie a nice color and the pear rounds out the flavor of the the berries.
- 4 fresh pears, unpeeled
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Core and slice the pears. Mix all the filling ingredients together well. Pour into the pie shell.
Add the dry ingredients for the crumb topping to a food processor or blender, pulse to combine, then add the butter. Mix until the topping comes together into crumbs. Add to the top of the pie. Bake for 70-80 minutes and let pie cool on wire rack before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch single-crust pie.