The blackberries give the pie a nice color and the pear rounds out the flavor of the the berries.
- 4 fresh pears, unpeeled
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Core and slice the pears. Mix all the filling ingredients together well. Pour into the pie shell.
Add the dry ingredients for the crumb topping to a food processor or blender, pulse to combine, then add the butter. Mix until the topping comes together into crumbs. Add to the top of the pie. Bake for 70-80 minutes and let pie cool on wire rack before serving.
Yield: one 9-inch single-crust pie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pear, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 500°F. Line muffin tin with 12 baking cups
- Blend together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cardamom and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Beat the liquid ingredients together — milk, oil, and eggs — until they are light.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Take a fork or wire whisk and blend the two for 20 seconds — no more!
- Scoop batter into prepared baking cups, filling them 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 400°F*.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until muffins test done.
Yield: 12 muffins
*When you put muffins in a very hot oven and immediately drop the temperature, you help create the high peaks that make them so appealing.