- 4 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- Pie crust for one double crust 9-inch pie
- Raw sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs, then whisk in sugar, lime zest and juice, rum and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and butter until fully blended, then whisk them into the egg mixture. Stir in pineapple.
- Lay bottom layer pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the overhang to 1 inch and fill it with the pineapple mixture. Brush the rim of the pie crust with egg wash or milk.
- Lay top layer pie crust over the pie, trim and crimp the edges as you wish. Cut slits in the top crust, paint it with either egg wash or milk and sprinkle top with raw sugar.
- Bake pie on baking sheet for 20 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F, bake for another 30-40 minutes, until crust is nicely browned and fully baked.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving. Can be kept refrigerated for up 1 week.
- Makes one 9-inch pie